My godson Nicholas is a special boy. Although he is only three and a half, he has taught me some of the most important life lessons I will ever learn and has changed me in a profound way. Despite all of the many challenges that he has been faced with in his short life, Nicholas is one of the happiest little boys I have ever met. And I am lucky enough to be his godmommy.
Nicholas isn’t like all the other kids at daycare, he has spent a lot of time at Sick Kids Hospital for many reasons. He is unable to walk, has minimal use of only one hand, is fed through a feeding tube and is blind. Nicholas will never speak, walk, eat on his own or lead a “normal” life. And yet, he is a happy boy. He has taught me what is important in life – it isn’t about the material things you have. Life is about moments, spending time with the ones you love and being grateful for what you do have. He has taught me to live each moment to the fullest, because life is precious. To stop living in the past or worrying about the future because when you do you aren’t enjoying the present.
If Nicholas could talk, I think this is what he would say are his Top 10 favourite things:
10. Going to daycare. He loves being around his friends, doing the train (he is always the conductor with his wheelchair) and doing fun activities. He is always included in everything they do, no matter what. I know Miss Meaghan, Miss Julie and Miss Rebecca all have special places in his heart.
9. His Sleep Sheep. No matter where he is (whether at home or in the hospital, he knows he is safe when he hears his sleep sheep.) It has always been a part of his dodo routine and it brings him comfort when he is not at home.
8. Listening to his sounds and his music. He is such a boy and loves burps and fart sounds the best! He also loves hearing his birds. Nicholas absolutely loves his music, especially singing Frozen’s Let It Go and Kiss The Girl from The Little Mermaid!
7. Skyping. He definitely knows what it means to Skype and recognizes the sound of it ringing. And he even looks upset if the call gets disconnected for any reason or when people have to end the call. Even though his grandparents don’t live in the same city, at least he gets to Skype with them!
6. Being told that he is a good boy. He absolutely loves being praised! He also loves being told that he smells! Go figure.
5. Going for walks with Mommy. He loves being outside (except when it is raining or windy). He loves hearing the birds, the dogs, the kids playing and the train near their house.
4. Pool time (Especially with Papa! He also loves bath time, but the pool is more fun!)
3. Being a big brother. He absolutely loves his baby sister and is so good when she is next to him. He just has this smile on his face, knowing she is close.
2. Laughing. Nicholas has the best smile and laugh in the whole world. He loves being tickled, spending time with his family and playing with his friends. He also loves the sound of people drinking and eating!
1. Cuddles and kisses. I honestly think that if he had the choice of cuddles and ANYTHING else, he would choose cuddles all the time!
I am very blessed to have him in my life, and have had the chance to spend a lot of time with him in the last few months. Not only has he changed my life, and the lives of his family, he has touched so many people. Some that have never even met him in person. There are no words to express my love for him. He has changed who I am, and who I want to be and I will never be the same.
As Nicholas continues to grow, so does his needs. Right now he is over 55 lbs of unsupported weight and his parents are having to make home renovations in order to make the house more wheelchair accessible and safe for Nicholas. The combined cost of an elevator lift and accessible bathroom are substantial with limited financial support, which is the reason I have created a fundraiser via an application called Tilt to help cover some of the many costs associated with the renovations. If you want to donate or learn more please visit Nicholas’ Tilt account. Nicholas and his family appreciate all of the generous support so far! It means the world to them!!